[Valjean Labs] Hydrate, Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin B5 Facial Serum - Review

by - April 14, 2018

Hey Guys! ✨
Today i'm reviewing one of my purchases from TK Maxx,
which is the:
Valjean Labs Hydrate, Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin B5 - Facial Serum
I spotted this in TK Maxx a few weeks ago, and was instantly drawn to the simplistic packing and the colour of the serum!
Now it turns out that Valjean Labs is an American label, which is probably why I can't really purchase the other serums under the same brand so easily. They're also sold from distributer Jocott Brands Inc. and Urban Outfitters (USA Only). So if you see these guys in the UK, don't hang about! definitely snap them up! 


So you purchase the serum like so, its doesn't come with a box, so what you see is what you get with this one! not that it bothers me really haha!
I am sucker for cute and/or simplistic packaging and this one was one of those purchases to say the least. I'd never used a hyaluronic acid serum before this point, so this was definitely going to be a new experience for me. 

The product comes in a matte texture 54ml glass bottle, with a little pipette for extracting the serum. The serum itself is a very pale blue colour (nothing that i've seen before) and does have a chemical/alcohol smell (which does dissipate quickly). 


On the back of the bottle, it has a brief description of what the Valjean Labs serums are:

"Valjean Labs facial serums are a collection of super-concentrated serums - each a blend of essential nutrients that address specific skincare needs. Think of these as supplements for your face"

For this paticual serum, it aims too:

"Hyaluronic Acid will plump up your skin as Vitamin B5 brings back elasticity"

The ingredients for this product are:

"Purified Water (Aqua), Propanediol (Zemea), Glycereth-26, Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Biosaccharide Gum-2, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Violet No.2 CI 60725, Blue No.1 CI 42090


The nozzle of the glass pipette narrows at the bottom to a fine point, which allows for complete control over how much of the product is dispensed onto the skin. It's recommended to apply a few drops into your palms and smooth it onto cleansed face and neck. 


The serum itself is basically the same consistency as water, it's very light, very runny and absorbs very quickly. First thing I noticed however after opening the bottle is that there's definitely a noticeable chemical/alcohol smell...but it doesn't last thankfully.

After using this for a few weeks, even though this is supposed to hydrate your skin, I didn't really find it that hydrating when just used on it's own. Once absorbed it leaves a somewhat "tacky" feeling, nothing major and nothing that really lasts. I would recommend you use this serum first in your routine as it's very runny. I would also recommend that you follow up with a moisturiser at least after using this (if you don't use one that is) since on it's own, it isn't really that great at hydrating the skin per say. 

A difference between this and for instance, a facial oil. Is that if you accidentally dispense too much oil on your skin you may find it harder for your skin to absorb as it's saturated. However, if you accidentally apply too much of this particular facial serum, the skin doesn't find it hard to absorb and will still drink it up! so that's good at least haha! but of course it's best to avoid this if you can, just to avoid wasting the product. 


The serum is light blue in the bottle, but it's clear as day when applied to the skin! literally the same as adding a few water droplets to my hand here. I also didn't apply alot as to stop the product from running everywhere.


It literally takes about a minute for the serum to be absorbed, whether by "patting" or "rubbing" it into the skin (patting is the best way though!) It did leave my skin rather refreshed and plump and somewhat soft! but I personally don't feel that using this on it's own would provide the skin enough moisture. Besides this though, I did enjoy the fact my skin basically drinks it up, so I don't have to keep "patting" it in to help speed up absorption. 

I suppose if using in winter, you will need to use another moisturising product on top so it doesn't feel like it's drying your skin out. However in summer, you could probably get away with using it on it's own (as it's lightweight) and under a sunblock. 

The 54ml bottle will also last you a while (since you don't need a lot of it to spread it evenly on the skin), and even if using it every morning and night, you'll notice there's still loads left! so in terms of value for money, I think it's very good! 

IMG Credit: urbanoutfitters.com
So, here are my Pros and Cons based on my personal use of this product:


Pros:


Value for Money:
I paid £6.99 for this serum, and for 54ml, I do consider that a steal haha! I've used it every morning and every night for over a month and i'm only just less than a quarter of the way through! so it's definitely going to stick around for a bit, and you'll get the most out of your money!


Inexpensive:
It's no lie that Skincare can be a bit expensive (particularly depending on which brands and what particular products). However, if you're on a budget but are wanting to broaden your skincare routine, why not give this a go? since they're apparently dupes of some of the Glossier serums (I myself have not tried the Glossier serums, so I can't compare at this moment).


Works (Sorta):
Even though my skin didn't necessarily feel "moisturised" per say, my skin was definitely more smoother and felt supple. It also worked well alongside other products in my skincare routine, like my Etude House Moistfull Essence and Emulsion. 






Cons:


Smell:
It can't be denied that there is a bit of a chemical/alcohol smell that is noticeable when you open the product. It did dissipate, however it's something worth pointing out incase products that emit these particular scents are ones you need to avoid. 


Not Moisturising:
Sadly, it isn't all that moisturising. I felt like it made my skin slightly "tacky" and tight after each application, however this soon disappeared after I applied the next product of my routine. Because of this, it isn't a product I would recommend just using on its own really...as it may possibly be drying. It's much better working alongside your other routine products!


Availability: 
Sadly, here in the UK it isn't as widely available to get hold of. Your best option is the import if from it's place of origin, which is the USA! However of course, that means waiting and potential expensive shipping costs :(


Overall, after using this everyday for about a month, My skin was noticeably more "plump" and smooth. It definitely was a welcome addition to my AM/PM skincare routine and is something I would recommend to you guys who are looking specifically for a Hyaluronic Acid serum. This is suitable for all skin types, but as before stated, I wouldn't just use this on it's own as it isn't hydrating/moisturising enough. But if you're wanting to add a reasonably priced serum to your routine, I recommend considering this one!

 I'm also on the look out for any of the other serums under this brand to try those too! currently on the look out for the "Restore" serum, haha! 💖




Where to Purchase:


Can be purchased here for $15 (approx $10.53 USD converted)


Can be purchased here for $15 (approx $10.53 USD converted)


-


Thank you for reading!
~

Have you used this facial serum? 
What did you think of it? lemme know in the comments below!




You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Good to see this post and i just say its really effective serum and i used it. Highly recommended. best face serums

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much is the set of this product

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Informative! We strive to bring our customers the latest ingredients, technology and formulations at an affordable price. Please get more info on Niacinamide.

    ReplyDelete