[SecretKey] Pink Racoony Hydro Gel & Cheek Patch - Review

by - March 14, 2018


Hey Guys! ✨
Hope you're all well, today i'm going to be reviewing:
Secret Key - Pink Racoony Hydro Gel & Cheek Patch
I really enjoyed using the "Gold Racoony Hydro Gel Eye & Spot Patch" and since this was quite popular, I decided to take the plunge and try the Pink Racoony version.
Fortunately, I was able to pick this up in early January in TK. Maxx which saved me from having to order and/or import!

Unlike the Gold Racoony version, these are specifically designed to be used on the cheeks, however quite handily there is a tear line in the middle of the heart shaped gels, which can allow you to split the heart into "two" pieces. Which will then enable you to use it as an under eye patch (which is mostly my intended purpose for this product)

What are Hydro Patches?
Hydro Gel patches are basically sheet masks for under your eyes. They're designed to adhere to the areas under eyes and provide a continuous dose of ingredients to leave your under eye area hydrated and less puffy.


The product comes in a cute thin box, appropriately kitted out in a light pink colour theme (since the product itself is actually pink!) along with cute illustrations on the top and sides featuring roses and importantly, Secret Keys Racoon mascot on the top of the box! 


On the right side of the box it gives a brief description of how the product claims to benefit you, which is:

"Including hydrating essence, Gold and Rosa Centifolia Flower Water. They come in a cooling formula that instantly refreshes your skin with much-needed moisture. Rosa Centifolia Flower Water and Gold also help skin to maintain hydration and elasticity - so you look refreshed for every activity ahead"

Below that are direction instructions (which are to apply them to the desired area and leave for 20-30 minutes) and the list of ingredients which are as follows:

"Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Carrageenan, Ceratonia Siliqua Gum, Potassium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Glucose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance, Gold, Xanthan Gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Synthetic Fluorphlogophite, Tin Oxide, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Carmie, CI 77491, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, PEG-60, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Rose Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Bambusa Textiles Stem Extract, Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Houttuynia Cordata Extract, Citrus Junos Fruit Extract"   


When you take the product out the box you'll receive it like so! It comes in a round white tub with a screw cap and a sticker featurning the same illustrations found on the outside box on top of the lid. 


Once you unscrew the cap you'll find it has a white protective lid keeping the product in place with a small protruding plastic piece for you to be able to grab and remove it, it also contains a clear plastic spatular which is nestled on top. This can be used to extract the hydro pieces from the tub, or can be used to get other moisturising cream products out of containers if you aren't a fan of using your fingers!


So the first thing I noticed when I first unscrewed the cap were that the hydro pieces themselves are actually heart shaped! There's a grand total of 60 pieces all together so it's excellent value as I picked these up at around £9.99 in TK. Maxx and have lasted me a while (I still have a lot left) since I initially purchased these around the start of January this year. 

I originally bought these mostly intending to use them as under eye patches (since i'd run out of the Gold Racoony Hydro-Gel Eye & Spot patches which I had enjoyed using) so I was a bit confused as to how I would use them under my eyes. However, upon closure inspection there's a fine dotted line running down the middle of each individual patch which actually allows you to split the patch into two pieces to allow you to place them under your eyes!


The patches themselves are fairly thin and aren't soaked in serum, so do expect them to adhere to your face really well (unless you've used a product beforehand like a face oil for example, so expect them to slide down due to gravity). As I mentioned before, I initially bought these patches to replace my God Racoony ones and to use them under my eyes. I noticed that once splitting a heart into two pieces it gives you this slightly odd tear drop shape which I found didn't really cover the whole areas of the eye (both edges of my eye were left exposed). 


So I wasn't really satisfied about that, on one hand it's good that these patches aren't soaked in serum like the "Danielle Creations" under eye masks which left them running down my face every second. However I didn't really feel like they were doing much of anything. My under eye areas didn't feel anymore or any less hydrated prior to using the patches, and besides putting them in the fridge so they would provide a cooling and soothing sensation, they didn't really do much of anything else.


The serum is basically the same as water and the patches do have a very slight perfumed smell, however It didn't last and was barely noticeable. But as I stated before, as they're not soaked in serum they won't slide down your face unless another product (like a moisturiser or facial oil) has been used prior to this. So there's no need to worry about it sliding down your face every second!

Every time I use these i've been splitting them in half and using them as eye patches, also keeping them in the fridge as of now so they give me a nice relaxing feeling. I usually leave these eye masks on for the maximum time stated on the packaging since they don't irritate my skin or give me any reason to remove them sooner. When removed from the fridge and used on my face, they provide a cooling, soothing sensation which helps ease my eyes when they're puffy (if you get puffy eyes now & then) and generally helps you to relax. However, when used at normal room temparature I didn't find them to make much of a difference in terms of hydrating my under eye area except a minimal amount. 

Here are the first four ingredients listed below with a little information about them (not counting water):

Dipropylene Glycol:

Dipropylene Glycol is a colourless liquid often used in cosmetics and especially perfumes. Basically the more Dipropylene Glycol in a formula the stronger the smell of the product, it also works alongside other ingredients to help them bind together effectively. This product does have a very light discreet fragrance that isn't noticeable though. 

Glycerin:
Also called Glycerol or Glycerine, Gylcerin is a skin replenishing and restoring ingredient, helping to restore normal skin balance and hydration. It's also one of the many substances that helps the skin maintain a healthy look and feel, working to maintain the skins natural moisture level and defending against skin dryness.

Carrageenan:
Carrageenan belong to the category of plant extracts and texture enhancers. It's a Seaweed gum that is used in cosmetics as a thickening agent with water-binding properties. 

Ceratonia Siliqua Gum:
 Ceratonia siliqua gum has a superb emollient effect and helps with emulsion stabilizing and also for controlling the viscosity of the formula.

Img Credit: aliexpress.com

Based on my experience using this product, please find below a list of my pros and cons!


Pros:


Value for Money:
With this product you get a total of 60 pieces, and if you use them mostly for your eyes you'll notice that they will last you a decent amount of time! Of course it also depends how frequently you use them (if you use them everyday for example, of course  expect them to deplete quicker). However if it's once - twice a week (usually what I do) they will last you a long time. 


Versatile:
This product can be used on both your cheeks and your eyes, giving you a choice in which to use this product to its full potential. The whole heart can be used on large areas like cheeks, and can also be split in half and used under your eyes or in more awkward areas. I tend to like products that have more than one use, and this one is one of them! so there's no need to buy separate cheek and eye patches as these are a two in one!


Can be Recycled:
I recently found out that if you save your used patches in a clean container, if you add boiling water and let them dissolve they intern turn into a liquid which can then be used as an essence for your skin! This is actually on the Secret Key website too! So if you've any empty serum bottles with pipettes, keep them and fill them with these dissolved patches!





Cons:


Shape:
When split in half and used as under eye patches, the shape isn't really suitable, as sadly it doesn't conform to the shape of your eye as much as the Gold Racoony version. So I felt as if only some parts of my eye were being tended too. 


A Bit Drying?:
As they aren't so much so soaked in serum, I feel they're a bit drying? I don’t really feel that my under eyes are as hydrated compared to the Gold Racoony ones I’ve used before.


Overall, they were fun to try out and use, I do like the shape, girly colour and how versatile they are. They'd probably be useful if you have dry skin on your cheeks? but being used as eye patches I probably wouldn't recommend in all honesty. If you were considering buying these and using them solely for the purpose of using under your eyes, I would recommend you try the Gold Racoony version. However, if you were looking at using these just for your cheeks as an extra boost, these maybe for you!




Where to Purchase: 


Can be purchased here for (currently) £11.21 ($15.51 approx converted)


Can be purchased here for (currently) $24 (£17.35 approx converted)


Can be purchased here for (currently) $7.62 (£5.51 approx converted)


Can be purchased here for (currently) $21.50 (£15.54 approx converted)



-


Thank you for reading!
~

Have you used Secret Keys Pink Racoony product? 
What did you think of it? lemme know in the comments below!























You May Also Like

0 comments