[Etude House] Play Therapy Soft Clay Pack - Review

by - March 27, 2018


Hey Guys!✨
Today i'm going to be talking about one of my favourite wash off packs which is:
"Etude House Play Therapy Soft Clay Pack" 
This is one of my favourite wash off packs as it's so so easy to apply (whether by hand or using a brush), dries super quick and washes off extremely easily without the need to rub!

This particular Etude House range have different "packs" for different skin concerns/needs, for me in particular I have issues with open pores and excess oil on my T-Zone so the Soft Clay Pack was the one I felt I needed!


You receive the Clay Pack in a 150ml tube like so (it'll be covered by clear cellophane wrapping) it's got quite cute simplistic packaging, and I do like the green theme! I assume the theme is green due to the Brazilian Forest Clay and Eucalyptus ingredients contained within. 

The on back of the tube it displays a description of what the soft clay mask claims to do which is:

"This is a soft clay pack that reduces the size of pores and the amount of sebum with it's smooth texture, Brazilian Forest Clay and Eucalyptus ingredients. 
What is Brazilian Forest Clay? This is a natural clay from the Brazilian Amazon Area, popularly used among amazon natives for it's abundant minerals and effectiveness"


Below that are directions of how to use the clay pack. It can either be used on the whole face (I usually go with the full face method) or can be used on specific areas such as T-zones, areas with large pores and excess sebum and even on areas with blackheads like your nose. It's recommended to be used 1 - 2 times a week! (I only use it about once a week now and then since I have more than one wash off mask) 

The listed ingredients for this product are:

"Water, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric, Trigylceride, Trehalose, Silica, Bentonite, Cetearyl, Alcohol, Glycerin Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Palmitic Acid, PVP, Sorbitan Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)


The product has a flip cap like so, making it easy to use and dispense. Keeping the area surrounding the nozzle clean was a bit hard, I like to keep my products clean and with this one I found myself having to wipe the area clean every time. However it's personal preference of course! The nozzle itself is quite small so as to allow you to control how much of the product will be dispensed (whether that be on the hands or your face). 


The product comes out the tub very easily and has the same consistency as (if I had to compare off the top of my head) i'd say slightly thicker than whipped cream haha! The product itself is also a pale pastel green colour and has a very discreet smell, which kinda smells a bit..medicinal? I assume this is probably due to the Eucalyptus since it's a natural antiseptic with anti-flammatory and antiseptic benefits, however this slight smell is nothing too bothersome. 


The product has a creamy smooth texture and easily spreads on the skin and a thick layer isn't required like some other masks. It also dries quite quickly and is easily removed with warm water. I really liked how easy it was to apply the mask and how "light" it actually felt on my skin. When i've used a charcoal face mask for example (my Royal Essentials one to be specific) my face does feel somewhat heavy, but with this mask I sometimes forgot that I had something on my face haha! I also appreciate that i'm able to remove this mask with minimal effort, since with a little warm water it quickly dissipates so I don't have to rub and continuously add water to remove it from my skin.


Once you've applied the product to your skin it'll look like so! As you can see it also dries in a pale pastel green colour too. Your face will feel quite stiff (naturally) as the mask dries and it will start to crack in places even with minimal facial movements. As mention before, it does dry quite quickly, so you don't need to worry about having to sit around waiting for it to dry! I also noticed that initially after I applied the mask I couldn't really smell the medicinal "fragrance" I had mentioned before.

After washing off the mask, my skin did feel somewhat squeaky clean and It felt refreshed. I did notice that some of my pores had shrunk in size slightly (of course it's not a permanent solution) and despite the particular ingredients used for fighting sebum and oil, my skin thankfully wasn't left dry or irritated but more so smooth and clean, which was a good thing to see. If you're wanting a mask that fights sebum and reduces the size of pores in particular, this may be of interest to you!   

So moving on, lets look a the ingredients in depth shall we? I tend to look at the first couple of ingredients on the list to determine whether I should or shouldn't consider trying the product (for instance, if a product has "Alcohol" listed quite highly on it's list...I may reconsider) 

But before we get on to that, we know that this products contains Brazilian Forest Clay and Eucalyptus.
 But what are they?

Brazilian Forest Clay:
Brazilian Forest Clay is a natural clay that can be found the in Amazon rain forest, due to the vast amounts of diverse vegetation in the forest, any clay will be quite potent and can contain ingredients such as calcium, aluminum, magnesium, and silica. This particular clay is also quite popular with the amazon natives due to its effectiveness.

Eucalyptus:   
Eucalyptus is mostly native in Australia and is used frequently in herbal medicines and toiletries. It is known for it's anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and is used in skincare to treat conditions such as burns, wounds and eczema. 

The top 3 ingredients listed for this product are (not including water):

Kaolin:
Kaolin is a very versatile material and can be found in a lot of clay masks due to it's ability to cleanse and exfoliate skin cells on the surface of the skin. It's absorbent properties make it popular to include in masks for those with oily skin, however used to much, it can be drying. 

Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891):
Titanium Dioxide is used in a wide range of skin care products and is used as a whitening, thickening, lubricating, and sunscreen ingredient in cosmetic products. Mostly notably it protects skin form UVA and UVB radiation and can be used on sensitive skin. 

Butylene Glycol:
Butylene Glycol is an ingredient commonly used in skincare products with many multiple function, including being a texture enhancer. 



IMG Credit: Amazon.com
So based on my personal experience of using this product, 
here's my thoughts and findings: 


Pros:


Lightweight:
The consistency is lightweight, creamy and easy to spread on your bare skin. Unlike clay masks like my Royal Essentials Charcoal Face Mask, it doesn't feel heavy on and doesn't requite a lot of effort to spread across my face and dries very quickly, so it's pretty swift and painless. 


Purposed Based:
There are different masks in this line, all which target particular skin conditions and concerns. The main purpose of this clay pack is to reduce the size of pores and control the amount of sebum the skin produces. The ingredients contained within such as Brazil Forest Clay and Eucalyptus emphasis the purpose of the clay mask, so it's clear whether or not this is a mask that would suit your needs. 


Longevity:
I found that you weren't required to use a lot of this product to achieve results. Only a thin to thick layer of the product is needed and because you don't use much of it, you'll discover that the 150ml tube will last you a considerable amount of time! It also didn't cost me a great deal so the value for money is on thing to mention 








Cons:


Medicinal Smell:
I personally found very little to grumble about with this product, however one thing I need to mention is that due to the ingredients (referring to the Eucalyptus once again guys) there is a slight medicinal smell that accompanies this product. I find it to be very subtle to say the least, and I myself have grown so used to it I don't notice it at all. But, this is something to take into consideration if you're not fond of products having particular scents. 


Not recommend for skin types other that listed:
As mentioned in the Pros, because this line includes a variety to choose from in terms of what your skin needs/type of skin. I would imagine that if you used this on say, Dry skin, it won't really do much good for you. Since Kaolin can be drying if used more than recommended, but using it on skin already dry may make it worse. So please choose carefully which product matches your skin type and needs my dears!


Overall, this is one of my favourite masks and I do enjoy using it and how it makes my skin feel smooth and squeaky clean. I find a lot of products from Etude House to be peasant to use, and this is another example of a great product from them. However, as much as I enjoy using it, once it's finished I will most likely move on to another mask with similar ingredients/claims. Since I would like to try and be adventurous with my skincare, as it's quite easy to keep using what you're comfortable with (there's nothing wrong with that of course, however there may be other products out there that may do what you require even better! and they deserve a chance haha!) I do recommend this product if you have Oily or Combination skin like myself with an Oily T-Zone, since this product will help control sebum and help cleanse pores!




Where to Purchase:


Can be purchased from Ecarter.co.uk for £12.90 ($18.36 Coverted)  


Can be purchased from Ecarter.co.uk for £12.00 ($17.07 Coverted) 




-


Thanks for reading this review, Hope you guys found it helpful!
Are you a fan of Etude House masks? lemme know in the comments below! 


Reference(s): 
paulaschoice.com, Lush.com, hylunia.com




You May Also Like

0 comments